Here’s a little history lesson about our host venue.
At the end of the 19th century there were very few opportunities in Buenos Aires for sports.
The institutionalization of sports activities in Argentina began with the rise of international trade, the construction of hand railways by the English and the growing number of people who came from Britain to the shores of the Rio de la Plata.
It was at this time that the first social and sports clubs were founded, clubs that imitated the successful institutions in England and the sports they practiced: cricket, football, rugby, polo, golf, bat fives, racquets, tennis, bowls, shooting, horse riding, fox hunting and horse racing, among others.
John Ravenscroft, an Englishman who was populating the “Three Hides” estancia in Puán, had the idea of bringing together the British subjects who lived in Argentina, so that within a single establishment they have the possibility to meet socially and practice all sports possible without distinction. It occurred to him to model the club on the already existing and highly respected “Hurlingham Club” of London. It was founded in 1869 and was the governing body of the polo around the world.
In 1888, Ravenscroft mustered the necessary financial support with the help of some friends. The men drafted the statutes of the “Hurlingham Corporation” and submitted them to the government for approval. On November 22, 1888, the President of Argentina, Dr. Miguel Juárez Celman, signed and approved the statutes.
After many arguments regarding the location of the club, they chose a desolate and deserted field with no roads and no streets. In fact, the most reliable way to get to the Club was by horse. The construction of the Club began quickly.
The hiring of William Lacey was instrumental for the Club (and what would later be the town of Hurlingham). An English cricket professional who had lived in Canada for some time, he was only 28 when he arrived at the Club. He was known as “The Wizard of Hurlingham.” He was an architect, builder, manager and sportsman. His energy, enthusiasm and organizational power were legendary. William Lacey embodied the true spirit of Hurlingham.
The first golf tournament was played on June 26, 1892. The new “clubhouse” with bedrooms was inaugurated in 1894 It was extended and modified in 1931. The clubhouse was extended and modified in 1931 to accommodate the growing club.
As times changed, the Club progressed. The parachute hunting, duck and snipe competitions in the lower reaches of Hurlingham, and pigeons near the current cricket court, gave way to other sports as the years progressed. The 9-hole golf course was built and then expanded to 18 holes. Additional changes were made to make Hurlingham Club what it is today.
Undoubtedly, the Hurlingham Club is one of the most prestigious, most beautiful and most complete clubs available for sports. Most importantly, today’s Hurlingham Club follows the tradition of being, as it did 120 years ago, a club where friendship, chivalry, ethics and “fair play” are cherished.
To learn more: http://www.hurlingham-club.com.ar/Home